A building constructed in 1928 as a parking structure for a nearby hotel and previously used for many years as a muffler shop was remodeled to house administrative and warehouse spaces for the Fire Department. The interior volume and character of the facility will be enhanced by exposing and refurbishing the existing steel roof trusses and wood decking. The exterior walls offered minimal access to natural light so skylights were added in the administrative area and the interior offices were fronted with translucent glass to maximize access to natural light while maintaining privacy.
Santa Barbara City College - Learning Resource Center
Originally constructed 1987 the LRC had an interior refurbishment completed by the fall semester of 2012. Lighting was replaced as well as interior finishes to provide the facility with an updated look. New furniture was selected and specified as part of the project including computer stations, flexible tutoring furniture and high density storage to accommodate the A/V media collection. New casework has been designed for the help desk. KBZ facilitated the planning process by developing a building program with input from the stakeholders. Currently underutilized areas devoted to storage will be turned into flexible tutoring areas.
Sited at the campus’ hub, the three-story circulation core reinforces the integration of Learning Center, Library and Tutoring Center; that were brought together from existing physically disconnected sites. Bridges and stairs span through the core to connect the three areas. Because efficiency and access to information technology was the primary focus in developing the program for the building, the straight diagonal line was adopted as an architectural design element. The straight line between two points, represents efficiency; and diagonally represents the crisscrossing of information paths in the technology network. The diagonal line appears in both plan and elevation throughout the building.
The Lobero Theatre is located in the historic core of downtown Santa Barbara and was designed by George Washington Smith, often referred to as the father of the Spanish Revival style in California. The project focused on restoring the interiors of this historic landmark constructed in 1922. Improvements to the acoustics were integrated with the existing interiors; restrooms were expanded and brought up to meet accessibility codes; and the seating was replaced with historical reproductions that meet today’s requirements of size, spacing, and comfort. This much beloved building is an important part of Santa Barbara’s history and everyone involved worked toward restoring and respecting the artistic quality found in buildings designed by George Washington Smith.
The Marjorie Luke Theatre project comprised the renovation of a 1930’s auditorium at Santa Barbara Junior High School. The building is a designated historical landmark in the Spanish Colonial style. The new tiled foyer was carved out of the back of the original auditorium to include ticket booths and a central gathering area. The selection of tile at the new foyer was sensitive to the existing historic tiles used throughout the campus that are listed with the Tile Heritage Foundation. Refurbishment of the original wood theater seats includes adding upholstery and refinishing the wood and metal parts. A newly sloped concrete floor provides full ADA accessibility and a lift to the stage was included that does not interrupt any of the original decorative elements. State of the art theatrical equipment has been added with minimal impact to the existing interior design.
Santa Barbara City College - Cyber Center
The renovation of an existing space into the “Cyber Center” was part of a movement undertaken by the College to entice students to stay on campus during non-class hours. The furniture selection and layout was designed to accommodate various uses such as an open access lab for student internet use, an ancillary on-line registration space, and an area for small groups to gather for audio visual presentations. In addition, the College felt it was important for this facility to not feel like the typical instructional computer labs found elsewhere on campus. The furniture selection and color and materials palette was important in providing this aesthetic.