City of Santa Barbara - Santa Barbara, CA
This project achieved LEED Silver certification!
A building constructed in 1928, and previously used for many years as a muffler shop, was remodeled to house administrative and warehouse spaces for the Santa Barbara Fire Department.
The interior volume and character of the facility was enhanced by exposing and refurbishing the existing steel roof trusses and wood decking.
The exterior walls offered minimal access to natural light so skylights were added and in the administrative area the interior offices were fronted with translucent glass to maximize access to natural light while maintaining privacy.
To accommodate requirements set forth by the Historical Landmarks Committee (HLC), exterior improvements were complimentary to the historic nature of the building while taking into account practical issues such as maintenance and durability to satisfy requirements of the Fire Department.